View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #22
demonsbane

Default Re: Translation problems in new GURPS Lite Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
(SJ throws his hat on floor and stomps on it)

Okay, yes, there is definitely a problem. (...)
Thank you Steve for hearing us ;^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
(...) Has anyone noticed any problems with sections OTHER than the sections in boxes? If so, which ones?
I saw a good deal of erratum, typos and improper use of the Spanish language in GURPS Lite Spanish, so I think the entire document (not only the boxes) would need serious effort of checking and correction.

Kuroshima and Almafeta: having a decent GURPS Lite Spanish is important for GURPS and for Spanish-speaking people, even if the other books are in English.

So, myself lacking of time, I want to sincerely thank you both for the voluntary work you are doing here.

Nevertheless I can point these small things (apologies for possible repetitions). Some of them are purely issues of opinion, though:
  • Where the document says: "raza: La especie a la cual perteneces. Personajes no humanos (elfos, enanos, medianos, y Marcianos, por ejemplo) son comunes en los JdRs", I'm not sure "Marcianos" (Martians) should use here a capital letter M.
  • Where the PDF says: "Si quieress más características de las que te puedes permitir con el total de puntos provisto por tu DJ", the word "quieress" should be "quieres".
  • This is only a suggestion. Under: "Los Puntos de Impacto (PI) representan la capacidad de tu cuerpo para sufrir lesiones. Tu puntuación de PI es igual a tu FZ. Por ejemplo, FZ 10 confiere 10 PI.", I see "Puntos de Impacto" as a too literal translation of the English "Hit Points". It is usually translated into Spanish as "Puntos de Golpe", but I think "Puntos de Vida" can be suited, too.
  • Under: "Odiosos Hábitos Personales", I think "Hábitos Personales Odiosos", while still is very literal, is a more proper usage.
  • Under: "Ser tecnológicamente avanzado o dotado en lenguas son ventajas. Las insuficiencias en estas áreas son pueden ser una desventaja limitante.", it is needed to choose between "son" or "pueden ser", but not both in the same phrase. More subjectively: also, saying "una desventaja limitante" could be (IMHO) improved substituting that with "una desventaja limitativa".
  • I would translate "Difícil de Matar" as "Duro de Matar". The trait is "Hard to Kill". Yes, this is subjective, too.
  • "Defensas Intensas" corresponds with "Enhanced Defenses". I would translate it as "Defensas Mejoradas".
  • "Irreflexión", corresponding with "Impulsiveness", has a straight translation to Spanish: "Impulsividad".

And so on. This small list comes from a quick glance of the text.

PS: However, I personally prefer the new translation of Healt (HT) as "Salud". The earlier (third ed) Spanish translation under The Factoría de Ideas was "Vigor", what I understood better as related to Strength. Anyway this is point is very subjective.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 12-25-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typos!
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote