View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Anthony

Default Re: Drama, dice-rolls and Plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think that's a problem of misplaced specificity.
How you name something influences how you think about it. If you call RPGs storytelling, that encourages bringing storytelling methods into RPGs, and RPG methods into storytelling. If you don't, it doesn't.

My experience is that bringing storytelling methods into RPGs is something that should be done cautiously (there are valuable things, but also nasty pitfalls) and bringing RPG methods into storytelling is almost always a mistake unless they are already shared methods (learning to think/speak/write from the perspective of a character is certainly a useful skill in storytelling, but hardly something RPGs invented).
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Music, as Western people mostly think of it, involves a composer, who writes a piece; a performer, who plays (or sings) it; and a listener, who hears and attends to it. But it's possible to have performers who create new, perhaps never before played series of notes, as is common in jazz. And it's also possible to have performers who play for each other, with no separate audience, as in jam sessions, or as in the musical traditions of Bushmen, Pygmies, and some other aboriginal peoples. Are those not music?
Now, imagine people doing those activities, only there's an adjacent street with passing traffic. The random noise from passing traffic is roughly the dice.