View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
RogerBW

Default Re: Urban Legends for THS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
You're obviously right about that. People believe that the CIA has lasers that can cause cancer. The whole "Fake Moon Landing" myth depends on believing that in 1969 that the presence of astronauts on the Moon could be faked well enough to fool the Russians and the East Germans. Good stories tend to trump science education.
On the other hand, look at the way UFOs and Bigfoot – and other legends where "I didn't have a camera with me" was a key part of the story – have practically vanished since near-universal cellphone cameras, and the Bermuda Triangle doesn't stand up well when people can search actual flight records. I think that one of the challenges and rewards of writing material for TS is its differences from the present day, and it would be fun to play with old legends that "everybody knows" you'd have to be stupid or uneducated to believe.

Of course, everything you read in the world of TS is memetics from somebody, so it's also worth considering - who wants to discredit this idea by associating it with conspiracy theorists?
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote