View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
DeathDaisy

Default Re: [MA] Italian fencing description and the riposte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
The Italian School write up has the Counter-attack (Rapier) technique in it. Which by RAW is the closest to parry with the off hand and then take advantage by striking with your rapier into the target's out of line rapier.

Ultimately though while by RAW riposte and counter attack are distinct things (and one an attack option, one a technique) in reality this stuff is all on a continuum.
Yeah, I'll definitely use counterattack too. More, if I can :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I don't see how a similar "Special Setup (Riposte after Dodge)" perk would be unbalanced either, since it still involves penalizing your Dodge roll, and Dodge is more expensive to buy up to high levels than Parry anyway. I wouldn't allow one Special Setup perk to get a Riposte opportunity on both off-hand parries and Dodges, though. To do both, you'd need two perks.
Fair point, probably gonna invest in both then, if the GM agrees ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Buy up Counter-attack and not Riposte. Neither technique is especially useful without any points in.
Counterattack is basically a worse deceptive attack without points in it, so yeah. But Riposte is a maneuver, not a technique, so no buying up that sadly.

I'd much rather not give up any defense because that spells doom in gurps, but otoh a character trained in that kind of style would probably risk it, so I feel I'll have to bite the sour apple for roleplaying's sake. An excerpt from Agrippa again: "Though I had not originally intended to mention it, let me note here that one often places oneself at risk of being hit by insignificant blows in order to emerge the victor and kill the other combatant"

In gurps there are sadly no insignificant hits. A hit is a hit.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote