View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Casting spells with a weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I have a player who wishes to to get a bone dagger to use as his wizards staff. Or actually, to be explicit, a dragons tooth.

The rules for Staff (Magic p.70) is pretty clear that this is not possible as the object you enchant must be "Any rod-shaped piece".

I don't really see any harm in allowing a wand in dagger form though. And I kinda like the idea.
Per Low Tech a tooth-dagger would change cut to crushing, and would retain impaling damage, but with an AD of (0.5). But this is a dragons tooth! surely it would not lose cutting nor gain a low AD.

In fact the player wanted to apply Penetrating enchantments to it, to gain AD(2) or (3).

So effectively we end up with a normal dagger that could work as a Wizards Staff...

And now my questions (I know you where starting to wonder).
Would you consider that fair?
Would you allow it?
How much would you charge for the dragon tooth-dagger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
The Limit is first and for most a setting flavor limit.

Ask you self if it can be put on a weapon dagger, Why not a Sword? even a Dragonbone sword? Do you Want wizard in your setting to use use Dagger and/or swords instead of Staves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
As has been said, the issue is entirely one of setting flavor. Anybody who believes that it's "unbalanced" to allow a wizard to have a dagger, a sword, or whatever as his Staff item simply hasn't seen short staffs, quarterstaffs, and other sticks in action in GURPS combat. Wizards aren't denied typically metal cutting and impaling weapons for game-balance reasons, but because when Steve Jackson wrote the Staff spell back in 1986, he favored the gnarly wooden staffs seen in fantasy novels. Needless to say, many real-world traditions consider "wand" and "dagger" synonymous, and fantasy games are full of warrior-wizards who channel spells through swords. I'd simply allow it and be done with it . . . although you might want to raise the energy cost to enchant harder materials with the Staff spell, also for reasons of flavor.
To implment the last part I would crib from the powerstone spell with what it says about enchanting Gem based Powerstones vs non Gem ones.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote