View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
enfolder

Default Equipped one-shots and every flavor beans

In Harry Potter Munchkin, "Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans" are making me doubt that I understand how to use one-shots.

The card says you get a +1 for each "type" of Item you have "equipped," up to +5. This makes sense because there are five types of items: headgear, armor, footgear, hand items, and one-shots.

Does this mean it is possible for a one-shot item to be "equipped"? What does that mean?

We have decided it means that one shot items must be equipped to be used ("Items that are currently giving you a bonus or some other benefit are 'equipped'" says the rules.). In our interpretation, if you want to play a one-shot item you have to have it in on the table, equipped, before you use it.

In other words, we've decided that one shot items are just like any other kind of item, except that you can equip as many as you like and they are discarded after their effect is resolved. This feels like a very clean rule, consistent with the rest of the game.

Now, the rules state that one-shots can be used "from your hand or from the table" but we have decided this is just describing the two cases of one-shot "instants" (which can only be played from your hand because they are not items) and one-shot items (which can only be played from the table, we've decided).

This seems to square the rules with the card, but I have my doubts. Maybe the +5 limit for the beans is indicating that I don't know what a "type" of item is?

Are two-handed items (carried with a Cheat! perhaps) a separate "type" of item?

Are other kinds of items from other decks (Singing and Dancing Sword, for instance) a sixth "kind" of item?

Finally, the question of whether one-shot items can be equipped is important because lots of cards affect or are affected only by equipped items, and if one-shots count then that really changes their effects (Nigini, for instance, gets a lot stronger if all your one shots with S's give her a bonus!)