View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
Toadmaster

Default Re: Ever built an arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon
I've also built an arena, but found 4x8 to be just way too large (I just don't have that kind of space, but it you do, more power to you).

I stuck to 4x4, using 1/4" ply for the base and walls (thus a 4x8 sheet will last the entire project), and much thinner ply for any curved surfaces (jumps, ramps, and the like). Granted, this was for Matchbox scale.

If I were going to do it for the original scale, I think I'd work with foam core.
Well we set it up in the crawl space under the house, that gave us a huge room about 4 feet tall (although it was slightly damp and musty at times), we ran some clamp on work lights off of an extension cord and set of a bug bomb before the first game to chase out any squatters (Black Widows). Not the most comfortable gaming space but it kept the parents and younger siblings out of our hair.

It's no wonder gaming was more fun as a kid, it was more work. Now I play at a dining room table, can pretty much buy games when they come out or on a whim, I remember paying $0.25 to open a game and reading it in the corner of a shop to see if I wanted it, now if it looks interesting I just buy it an read it at home. Plus I can stay up as late as I want (or until my body says go to bed you idiot which seems to be earlier than it used to be).
Toadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote