View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Survivable Guns Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
The Survivable Guns article is clearly written to make guns, well, survivable and it mentions being for cinematic campaigns. On the other hand it also questions the lethality of GURPS firearms.

So what do you think about Survivable Guns from a realism perspective?
It's a big question. The problem is when you have automatic results from a system. When it comes to gun shot wounds there aren't many scenarios that have an automatic result (and even then it's more a really, really likely end result).

Personally I think the standard rules in combination with HT over penetration rules for torsos are fine.

(although there is the question about damage mods and max damage)

Which ultimately makes a single round no where vital* pretty survivable in the long term, but multiple rounds will take you out** pretty quick. As will bleeding if left untreated from less powerful rounds or very dangerous from large powerful rounds even with first aid.

Were you hit makes more difference than what your hit with (within a certain range obviously). But in RL how your body reacts to being hit is also a major factor, and in GURPS that's a matter of HT rolls to stay upright, concious and alive.

People survive getting shot all the time, but people also don't. Which I admit isn't much of an answer, but I think GURPS RAW does a pretty good job of giving this range of results with a healthy gloss of verisimilitude.

*in a broader sense than RAW but obliviously including vitals.

**take out not necessarily meaning instantly dead, but can often lead to being dead pretty quick.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-19-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote