Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: McGonagall - Foster Jenkins - Wiseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Oops. Forgot to add links.
Florence Foster Jenkins requires no introduction.

It's probably important to distinguish between critical reception (loudly negative) and practical effects (draws a significant audience). Arguably, since all three of those people got/get no end of work, they actually do have skill in Poetry, Singing, and Professional Skill (Movie Director). It's possible that they have Delusions preventing them from understanding the nature of their talents ("My work is beautiful art rather than the aesthetic equivalent of a car wreck people can't look away from."), but they can still put the skills to practical effect. This may also be setting a poor threshold for "incompetent." For example, no matter how bad he may be relative to other directors, Wiseau has nevertheless directed more feature films than any three or four forum members combined.

Alternatively, they have some other audience-drawing capabilities. La Jenkins, for example, had money for publicity and some sort of Reputation which drew people in, if only to mock her. Wiseau and McGonagall may have built their success on other skills. McGonagall, apparently, was a skilled performer even if he was an incompetent poet. Maybe Wiseau is bad in a director's chair but a brilliant motivator and negotiator, able to persuade people to give him what he needs to make those bad movies.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote