View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Parahumans: What types do you think the canon needs, what type would you like to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
One other logical problem with magic pheromones (or not-really-"pheromones") in a setting like TS is that, if you can genetically engineer a parahuman who can excrete them from a small gland, you can synthesise them industrially in large quantities, cheap, and package them in small aerosols.
That is an observation that I have agreed with for some while. I think in general, biomods or parahuman/bioroid models should be more likely to have 'drug slots' (whether for internal or external use) instead of drug glands, because it makes upgrading more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Or possibly not, because (a) everyone would be wearing noseplugs, (b) the bar would have a chemosensor package feeding alerts direct to the bouncers' earpieces, and (c) misuse of pheromones/"pheromones" would likely be classified as assault (or rape) in short order, so it'd be the cops wearing the sniffer alert packages.
This, on the other hand, seems like another of those things where player/writer/designer/editor knowledge of game-mechanical classification of those things into 'unnatural mental influence' (afflictions etc.) influences thinking.
Consider: Diplomacy and Fast-Talk are yet another form of influence that everyone should be paranoid about in much the same way, since it gets people to do some of the stupidest things (like buying a car on a highly detrimental credit payment plan, or going for a joyride with friends, or be seduced by someone, or many other things), but tell me: how many people in THS are wearing earplugs with an antisocial filter? How many people nowadays become hermits in order to safeguard themselves from such risks? How many jurisdictions outlawed diplomacy and fast-talk? Do people with Charisma 4 (natural, no limitations) get psychosurgically nerfed in the same way as you propose surgically 'disarming' those with Charisma 4 (Sense-based: scent)?