View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Some societies might inflict this condition via some kind of brain modification, as a punishment. It seems definitely cruel and unusual, but has the advantage that the victim won't seek revenge, being unable to take any pleasure in that.
That never made any sense to me. Why should a lack of pleasure centers prevent a character from deciding rationally that retribution is called for and then meting it out coldly and dispassionately?

Whether from pragmatic self-interest or selfless motives, a character may want to discourage such state violations in the future. If everyone who was subjected to Killjoy were to decide to devote his remaining life to retribution upon those responsible, it would be a powerful deterrent. And the fact that he has little to live for should make it even more rational for the character with Killjoy to decide that his Hades-like half-life is fair trade for the righteous infliction of vengeance, manifested by an appropriate agent.

Far from all fictional portrayals of retribution assume that the agent of vengeance gains any enjoyment from the process. From what I remember of being a child (and so a soulless monster without conscience or empathy), the times when I decided to inflict violence on my schoolmates in retribution, I generally did so in order to prevent any re-occurrence of the offence to which I was responding.

In GURPS terms, a Code of Honour or Sense of Duty might demand violent retribution to an offence even if the avenger has no emotional investment in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This is another disadvantage I've never used, and haven't hankered for. Have you?
I have to confess I never featured it, but now that I consider it, I kind of want to.