View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #122
nudj

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
1) Altogether or replacing it with a fixed bonus like was suggested earlier in the thread?

2) That's interesting but distance hasn't ever come up as an issue for me.

For example throwing a pretty sizable 4000 lb car:
-ST 30 (Spidey, BL 2,000 lbs) has a ratio of 2 for a x.3 distance, allowing him to hurl it 9 yards. Not bad, and perhaps even more than you would expect from Spidey.
- ST 40 (Thing, BL 20,000 lbs) has a ratio of .2 for a x1.5 distance, allowing him to hurl it 60 yards. That's a luxury car hurled most of the way down a football field - certainly good for combat distance.

Both are far enough for combat throwing and you could further throw on a level or 2 of Super Throw if you want distance that's much higher than your ST.

Under the old system:
-ST 30/120, for BL 2,880 lbs., that's ~36 yards.
-ST 33/320, for BL 20,000 lbs, that's 480 yards.

Those seem just seem awfully high, especially as a starting value. I just don't see Spidey throwing a 2013 Ford Taurus 1/3 of a football field.

1. A fixed bonus like you do

2. I agree that using ST 30/40 (maybe with super throw) instead of 100/317 is fine. Even more so if you are using Linear Damage. Alternatively, one could use Old Striking Strength. So 8d thrust for ST 40 would be equivalent to Old Striking ST 70. Truth is, I think Kromm would revise the whole throwing table, if he ever had time for something that unimportant. He doesn’t like that it is based on the ratio of weight to BL.

Best
nudj is online now   Reply With Quote