View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Tzeentch

Default Re: Why Germany Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Huh? Look at the table of rights in the core book. There are lots of places where rights of nonhumans are severely limited. Bioroids are slaves in most parts of the world, and harshly abused slaves in the Islamic Caliphate; AIs are property in many jurisdictions; AIs without restrictive programming, or xoxes of AIs or digital ghosts, are abominations without even the right to life.
* I'm looking at the table on p. TS127 and nowhere are bioroids subject to no rights at all (A). Inferior is most common, but even that carries with it certain 'human' rights and legal protections.
* You are correct about AIs though, I had forgotten how many places had them in the Animal category.

Quote:
Europe is consciously more liberal than most places . . . but its AIs have to be programmed to obey European law, which is fairly restrictive in a lot of ways. And bioroids, though they have many rights, are denied the right to reproduce . . . because their exercise of that right would entail bioroid manufacture, which is illegal.
* Source for the AI programming statement? I don't see it in THS or FW.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote