View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Sinanju

Default Re: Naturalist vs Alertness for search rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by randiv View Post
Here's how I would reconcile the three listed rules.

Detecting a hidden [whatever] -- TERMS below are mine, not ITL defined.
0) HURRIED/DISTRACTED - if moving quickly or attention occupied (e.g. under attack), no chance to detect hidden.
1) SPOT - passive chance to detect during normal walking. No extra time.
2) SEARCH - active quick pass over current location for anything unusual, 6T
3) EXAMINE - thorough search, possibly after coming up empty on #2. 12T (This may require having a specific search-target in mind?)

Based on the rules referenced, it seems to me there might be up to three search rolls in a particular hex/location: each of the above in turn.

Should there be any benefit (beyond an extra roll) for more thorough searching? I'd leave it to GM disgression.

Would multiple EXAMINATIONS be allowed? For instance, searching for 10 minutes at a particular spot? 10 rolls? Or is there a cut off? Again, GM disgression, I would think. (Perhaps having trouble find a party that loiters too long.)
This is the point at which I would stop worrying about the rules and start thinking about FUN. Is it more interesting if the players find what they're looking for, or not? If there's nothing there to find, I'd tell them as much. "You've searched thoroughly and there's nothing there." Move along.

If there *is* something to find, and failing to find it means they wander off without ever exploring the cool little minidungeon I designed behind that secret door...well, they're gonna find it.

Plus, as a general rule, I like to have one--at most, two--rolls to accomplish something. Endlessly rerolling until you succeed is not much fun for anyone. It also minimizes the advantages of those talents that give you bonuses to succed (or fewer dice vs IQ/DX), sooner or later everyone will make the roll if you just keep trying.

Either you find the hidden door, or you don't. Either you spot the ambush or you don't.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote