View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Sindri

Default Re: A Giant Sword, A Shield That Blows Up, and Reactive Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencezam View Post
In the universe of Muv-Luv Alternative, giant robots (called TSFs) sometimes use shields. These shields have reactive armor plates on them, which are frequently used to punch aliens in the face with explosions. How would one model such a shield, and that attack? I've not been able to find a plain reactive armor system-just EMA from ultratech and Laminates from High-tech, one of which is too high-tech for the setting and the other of which is not quite what's being used. I'm tempted to just have it provide a bonus to crushing damage when shield bashing, but I'm not real sure what a good benchmark for that bonus damage would be.
Just make up stats given the constraints of

1. It shouldn't deal enough damage to reduce hit points of the shield or TSF.
2. It should be able to penetrate non-armour-plate BETA DR.
3. It should be reasonable given plausible REFs for the TL and eyeballed dimensions of reactive armour patches.

Ultra-Tech's Reactive Armour Paste is TL 10 but its ratio of 1d damage to user to provide DR 20 (200 vs shaped charge) and progression of x1.5 DR at TL11 and x2 at TL12 might be a useful starting point.

I'd probably have it do an amount of damage dice that can't penetrate the shield and then multiply that by three and use the resulting number as either DR (x10 if against a shaped charge) against an attack or as an incendiary crushing damage with double knockback explosion if used as an attack that's capable of penetrating normal BETA DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencezam View Post
Along similar lines I've had some trouble modeling the swords used by the giant robots, as they're SM +6 with dST 30, and the low-tech companion 2 table only covers ST up to 100. Is there some further extrapolation of it I could use? The mecha are being done up under Spaceships rules.
You can use the Under the Hood: Weapon and Armor Scaling Table box to scale past SM +6. If the subject is SM +6 (though note that some TSF's such as the Type-04 Shiranui Second just barely squeak into SM +7) that just means that they have a lot more ST than needed for proportionally sized swords. 10 times normal min ST would mean a lot of lost damage for dST 30 due the the max ST cap. Fortunately its quite justifiable to increase the min ST. Look at the Type-74 PB Blade, its very thick and made with TL8-9ish materials. Low-Tech Companion 2 doesn't handle making weapons heavier to efficiently capture the user's ST without making them larger but Reverend Pee Kitty's MyGURPS does ( http://www.mygurps.com/r_minst.html?p=irha&v=0 )
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote