View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #783
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Actually there are a large number of simple RPG systems out there, and I've played a few of them; The Black Hack, Risus, Dungeon Squad, Polies and Polyhedral Dungeon, Altars and Archetypes, to name a few. They typically run to only a handful of pages and have simple, logical rule systems. They are my preference for RPGs these days as I don't have the patience for hundreds of pages of rules. These games are almost universally self published by the authors and are often free to download.

What none of them have is a true Tactical rules system which can be used with miniatures. On the other hand, a tactical skirmish game like Song of Blades and Heroes has started to evolve towards an RPG with some of its later supplements.

What I mean by that is that whatever niche TFT moves into, it will find already filled by other games. This isn't the late 70s/early80s any more. There are hundreds (if not thousands)of competing games out there, and although I'm sure TFT will find a market, it won't be running D&D a close second like it did in the past. There are just too many games.
Well, and the point kind of is "I've played all of them." Not, "I found a perfect system and stuck to it." So whatever you're looking for in a game has not yet been satisfied by them, which means there's plenty of room still to grow.

And my point wasn't that TFT will take the world by storm necessarily, but rather that it is such a great system that it HAS taken the world by storm in the past. It's still a great system, and does everything the other "simple" games you mentioned do, but with greater consistency, less room for off-the-wall interpretations, and this despite the fact that it's a 40 year-old system.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote