View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
Refplace

Default Re: Telecommunications limitation: when and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Yes, thank you for clarifying Refplace.
Your welcome.
The telecommunication limitation is a way to limit Mind Reading so that its more like talking, it does not apply to Telsend.
Mind Reading is like hearing and Telesend is like speaking. You need both to have a conversation with most people. That is really what the Telespeak ability is. Actually a better explanation is Telsend is sending thoughts and Mind Reading is listening to thoughts.
Telesend without Mind Reading would only allow a full conversation with someone who also had Telesend. So two telepaths can talk much more cheaply than a telepath and a non telepath, just as you yourself noted.

The Telecommunication advantage is one of the areas I think would benefit from a rewrite or expansion.
The first few lines of Telecommunication explain its the ability to send information just as if you were talking.
Though several variants specify the advantage can receive info to.
Infrared allows those with it or a IR communicator to receive.
Laser, and Radio are the same, only Telesend in GURPS Basic sticks with the wording at the beginning of Telecommunication.
Personally I think an enhancement for it to receive projected thoughts is appropriate but I can see where people then might try to use it as surface mind reading. So it would have to be clearly stated.
PK appears to have wanted to stick with RAW as closely as possible rather than try that route however.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote