View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Captain Joy

Default Re: Telecommunications limitation: when and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think your both misunderstand the ops question.
The box the Op refers to is Telespeak and bundles Mind Reading and Telsend together for two way communication.
The build makes the ranges the same on both abilities by using various levels of Short or Long Range.
What hes asking about is a -20% modifier on Mind Reading only called Telecommunication.
I looked it up in GURPS Basic and its a limitation on Mind Reading (p. B70).
From what I can tell given that it also has only read projected thoughts it appears to be acting as a kind of accessibility requiring them to be in communication with Telesend as well.
Yes, thank you for clarifying Refplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
To the Op: After reading the entry in Basic I still dont see where it would apply to most telepathic abilities.
I could apply it to Illusion with the Mental modifier so you could only create illusions to people your talking with using Telesend.
That makes sense. But what I still don't understand is why the Telecommunication limitation is attached to the Mind Reading part of Telespeak (Psionis Powers, p. 59). It's not a part of the Telereceive (Psionis Powers, p. 59) or Telesend (Psionis Powers, p. 60) powers. Indeed, no other telepathic build in Psionic Power bothers with a Telecommunication limitation. What is so specially about Telespeak?

Also, to claim a -20% Telecommunication limitation, wouldn't you have to have the Telecommunication-Telesend (B91) as an advantage — a 30-point advantage? You'd have to have 150 points worth of telepathy powers to make that -20% limitation worth while.

I'm beginning to think the Telesend form of Telecommunication (B91) has no purpose in a full blown psionic campaign that makes use of a full suite of psionic powers. It's just in Basic Set as an easy way to give a character psi-eque Telesend without having to worry about setting up a psionic powers with skills and talents and yadda yadda yadda. It's inclusion as a limitation in Telespeak (Psionic Powers, p. 59) is an error. Dropping if from Telespeak wouldn't change anything about it, but its cost.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 05-30-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote