View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #39
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Gear rich, money poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Actually, those clothes could pretty easily help in recovering a tolerable situation and means of support as a courtier somewhere...
A single suit of clothes? I doubt it. The most use he'd be getting out of them would be other people recognizing his Status. But if there's just been a revolution tossing out all the nobles...

Quote:
or could be cashed in for a fair bit of money
Right, but the sale price on tailored clothes isn't going to come to the purchase price, which is what we're looking at.

If I want those clothes at character creation, I'm going to have to spend an awful lot of points to get them. When you have what is in all other ways a person of Average wealth trying to get a single item (or set of items), the pricing gets all screwy. If you want cash but don't want to increase your Wealth, you have to use the trading points for money rule, which makes it incredibly costly in terms of character points to get those clothes. Or anything else. If you want to be a peasant thief who was able to steal a very nice horse a while back, you're going to be paying more points than if you wanted to be the duke who owns a hundred such horses.

The money rules are a jumble and they're not at all consistent. They're each priced radically different from one another, skewing the incentives in character creation away from the kinds of characters most often found in fiction. Which is pretty bad, since those are the same kinds of characters players often want to emulate, at least in my experience.

It's even been a problem in DF, where Signature Gear gives out $500 per point. You have to get up to Very Wealthy to get a better deal than that. You don't ever see multiple party members taking lower Wealth levels, since it's just plain worse than Signature Gear. You either take Signature Gear or you take Very Wealthy.

It's weird having multiple separate pricing schemes for the same thing in the same game. It requires the players to learn all these weird little nonintuitive quirks of the rules. Those weird quirks add up to making the game much more burdensome to learn.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote