View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
khorboth

Default Re: props and other aides

Food. Absolutely food. We have a couple of good cooks in my circle, and adding some appropriate food really helps immersion.

In our 7th sea game, we had culturally appropriate food when we visited the various countries. For fantasy games, we periodically have country-inspired dishes. I started a supers game in a movie theater once and popped corn. Filling the gaming room with the smells and flavors of the scene can really sell a scene.

Other things that have come up are a physical puzzle box, paper military orders, and statistical readouts. In our Star Wars game, the GM found a way to recreate the iconic text crawl and played them for us as intro/recap a few times.

I once had a friend who was not in the game play an NPC via video in an ultra tech game, recording video messages when I saw him for sending to the PCs. When they were finally in the same system as him, we skyped for the video call.

For a Rifts game, we once bought a cheap US map, wrote on it, aged it using tea, ripped it, duct taped it, and then used it as a prop.

When including a child in her first game, we made her a sugar fairy and let her give out small candies to the players which gave them in-game bonuses. Something like... +1 DR for having it, eat it for a use of defensive luck. I think there were like 5 kinds.

I'm sure there are more.

Last edited by khorboth; 10-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote