Thread: Spear Master
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
Varyon

Default Re: Spear Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Yeah, that's a very good point, and an even better solution! Don't mind if I steal that idea for my next game :)
Only fair, considering I stole the idea of using Techniques for buying up from defaults from another forum user some time ago.

Quote:
Let me remember which one you meant, in case you find it ^__^
The appropriately-named Alternate Guns Specialties and Techniques from Pyramid #3/65.

Quote:
I don't know about RAW, but IRL I feel like I'd still get the +2 bonus for parrying, even though I've never touched a staff for combat training purposes.
Most real-world two-handed spear training is going to involve a lot of teaching what GURPS calls Staff (or, more likely, Staff Art or Staff Sport). Indeed, looking at the spear martial arts styles, the ones that don't have Staff as a primary skill are almost invariably those where the spear is used one-handed alongside a shield. Bayonet fighting is an outlier, but that's probably largely due to rifles not being great staves. Honestly, using Spear as One-Handed Spear (grabbing with another hand being more akin to a Defensive Grip than actually switching to another skill) and possibly making it DX/E, then using Staff as Two-Handed Spear (and letting it use the pointy end for thrusts, instead of only the blunt end), would make a lot of sense.