View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #53
RaRaRasputin

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Thunderclap
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy, Lesser Control Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing (Double Knockback, Side Effect [Mental Stunning])
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

As part of the casting or triggering of this spell, you forcefully clap your hands together. The resulting sound is magically amplified and (assuming a successful attack roll) parabolically focused onto a point of your choice within 10 yards. The resulting shockwave produces a 4d6+2 crushing explosion, which deals double knockback.

Each creature that takes any penetrating damage from this effect must make an HT roll, at -1 for every 2 points of penetrating damage. Those who fail are mentally stunned, and may roll to recover from it as normal.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Damage, External Crushing Explosion 4d6+2 (5) + Double Knockback (4) + Side Effect (Stunning) (10) Range, 10 yards (3). 33 energy (33x1).

This ritual does two things that I'm not sure are kosher.

1. Every other "attack" spell I've seen that uses the Path of Energy treats it as a Greater Effect. I'm not sure whether this is a requirement, or just a consequence of conjuring fire and lightning from nowhere rather than amplifying an existing source. I don't think it's simply a matter of game balance, because plenty of other paths can deal damage with Lesser Effects.

2. This applies the Side Effect enhancement to the sonic damage, rather than using a separate Destroy Body to apply deafness directly, or Destroy Mind to apply stunning, or whatever. I haven't seen any other spells use Side Effects or Symptoms.

Flaming Sword
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait (Burning Innate Attack, Linked Melee Attack)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 2d6 burn damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait (Innate Attack (2d6 Burn; Melee 1,C -20%; Linked +10%)) (11) + Altered Trait (Apply Linked +10% to an existing melee attack worth up to [40] as an IA) (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) = 75 energy (25x3).

Notes: This ritual works by giving a creature an Innate Attack with the fixed Linked modifier, then applying the Linked modifier to their weapon attacks using the Modifying Existing Damage rules described in Power Ups 4. Is there an easier way to price this by just powering up the weapon directly?

Last edited by RaRaRasputin; 04-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.
RaRaRasputin is offline   Reply With Quote