View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Limpet mine damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW
Short version: do ULTRA-TECH limpet mines always do maximum rollable damage?

There's some precedent for this - the Contact Explosions rule on B415, HIGH-TECH's extrudable and foam explosives, cutting cord and detcord (all p.187).

Against this, there's B414 ('the listed damage applies only applies "as-is" to the target struck' when shooting at people with explosive attacks), the fact that Internal Explosions (B415) do not maximise damage, and the inconvenient fact that e.g HEAT warheads do need to detonate at a slight distance from the target to have maximum effect. And of course that it's not specified in ULTRA-TECH.
I do not think the mines are intended to do maximum damage, for reasons pointed out by yourself, Phil, and Michele.

Regarding the High-Tech cites: I believe the intention of the two mold-able TL8 types is that the higher damage comes (at least in part) from being designed to fit into cracks and similar small openings, where less of the explosive force is wasted. Detcord benefits from being wrapped around something, rather than merely being placed on it, and cutting cord is a type of shaped charge.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote