View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 02:10 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Reentry with Flight/TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Sounds too good to be true, TBH. Being able to accelerate a controlled object by TK ST = m/s sounds good and reasonable because the acceleration is limited by the TK's range. But what about TK levitation? If I'm controlling myself, I'm never out of range and could accelerate to unlimited speed.
No. Please read up on the trait write-up:
"You can move
any object you have strength enough
to lift, at a Move equal to your TK
level
, modified as usual for encum-
brance level (see Encumbrance and
Move, p. 17)"
You can only move objects relative to the relevant reference frame at up to TK y/s, but you can accelerate them up to this velocity quite fast. If your reference frame is yourself, you cannot accelerate yourself because you are always at rest relative to yourself. So when moving yourself, you have to deal with some other reference frame than yourself.

Quote:
In theory. Air resistance and friction would become a problem to a character without DR rather quickly, but even the most incompetent munchkin could come up with a build that includes DR and heat resistance for fewer CP than what infinite levels of Enhanced Move (Air) would cost.
Note that a vehicle's or character's rated air move is after factoring in air resistance, weight of one's body etc.

Quote:
That is, of course, if you really meant that the acceleration (not the speed) for subsequent turns is TK Move. Or unless I misuderstood you really badly.
You can Move up to your TK Move (which is your TK Level) per turn. In any given turn, you are free to accelerate up to your Move. You can spend another turn to accelerate to a Sprint (in a straight line).
High acceleration does not automatically assume unlimited velocity.