View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #222
starslayer

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Problem is I am the GM & one of my players wants do apply -to resit on the spells. It shouldn't brake rule of 16 anymore than penalizing the resistance roll with a previous spell. Right?

PS: thanks for your interest & help.
It absolutely will break the rule of 16.

Here is the issue- you are a caster with skill 25, and are fighting a foe with will 16.

As per the rule of 16 it does not matter that you have skill 25, it will be 16 v 16, with about a 60% chance of defending successfully (defender wins ties).

If you put a penalty on that spell via requiring more energy (lets say -3) you STILL have skill ~25 (as bestows a penalty is not overly expensive) , and the defender now has reduced defense (13), your spell has turned from having a 60% chance of being resisted to having ~20% chance.

However, I just double-checked, and apparently incantation DOES allow you to put a resistance penalty into the spell and have it apply.

See Censure- p24-25

And it looks like it uses 'single skill' as the modifier.

I think that's overly generous (You are inflicting -6 to resistance in exchange for at most -2 to your roll to activate)- if I would have allowed 'same spell to reduce resistance' I would have used the rules for deceptive attacks (-2 to skill for -1 to defense), but Ghostdancer put a lot of effort into balancing incantation (even more than stock RPM is balanced and it is in my mind very well balanced) so I'm sure there is valid reasoning behind.

Edit: Curse you ghostdancer, I was so close to correcting my error with this post. So close.

Last edited by starslayer; 04-11-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Clarification.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote