View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #31
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: "Could be worse" advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Exactly my point. Serendipity is not under the control of the player the way Luck, for example, is. Accordingly to use it as the basis of this ability won't necessarily deliver what the OP is seeking.
Except that if you reread the OP it's pretty clear it's being treated as a Player initiated Advantage. Or at least WaterAndWindSpirit is very clearly presenting it that way.

Quote:
I don't think that is universal or determinative. Characters pay for Allies too, but the GM builds and controls them.
See above "at my table". I've already mentioned off-loading Player Advantages to the Player to control, why would Allies be any different? Granted as GM I have override, but that's the case for pretty much everything.

Quote:
It appears to me that there is an insurmountable problem of defining the borders of the Serendipitous occasion.
I gave you a perfectly clear use case example. But like everything in a good* rpg, 99% of the rules come down to rulings at the table.

* Granted that we may have completely different ideas as to what constitutes a "good rpg". I like rules, but all rules need to make way for "what works".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote