View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Is Penetrating Vision a bit OP?

Stealth covers hiding and moving silently, usually at the same time – it's about being undetected, not merely unseen. Moreover, hiding isn't just about standing behind obstacles. It's about using shadows or dazzling light (same essential effect); staying behind, above, or below the person you're trying to hide from, and thus outside of their field of vision; blending in by not getting silhouetted by light or color; and capitalizing on distractions (e.g., darting to the next hiding place when a door slams and your prey turns reflexively to look).

"Natural hiding places" definitely does include fog, shadow, smoke, dazzling/distracting lighting, and any place in plain sight but not in your victim's field of vision (ask soldiers and cops about checking corners . . .) – not just obstacles Penetrating Vision might pierce. Such hiding places are limited to obstacles only if the area is uniformly well-lit and the person using the advantage has a viewpoint that doesn't permit someone to be anywhere but on their level, in front of them. A gym with bright lights has tons of natural hiding places; you're not likely to see the ninja in the shadows way up above the lights' glare, flattened unmoving against the ceiling, wearing clothing the same color as the paint.

But all told, I wouldn't worry about those details. I'd just give the usual +2 for using an ability to enhance a skill when people with Penetrating Vision roll a Quick Contest vs. Stealth, as long as hiding is at least part of the Stealth-user's goal and there could be obstacles in the way.

Penetrating Vision is only a flat-out Stealth-killer when the skill use is 100% for hiding and 0% for moving silently, and when the only option for hiding is standing behind a obstacle directly in your rival's line of sight. In a well-lit 10'×10' room with a low ceiling, a door in one corner, and a large potted plant, pretty much the only hiding place from someone standing in the doorway is going to be that plant, so I'd say Stealth isn't useful against Penetrating Vision then.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote