View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: X-Files level characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
What was Scully's delusion?
Probably "the paranormal doesn't exist". However, I'd argue that game-mechanically, she doesn't have a Delusion, or at least not a major one. Mulder and Scully are a classic example of the fact that Delusions don't need to be false, just against the standard belief of people in the setting. Mulder has a Delusion, "The paranormal exists", because that contrasts with the majority viewpoint, and voicing it gets him negative reactions, despite, in the X-Files setting, that being the absolute truth. Scully, on the other hand, despite being quite persistent, and in fact, quite stubbornly so, in her belief that the paranormal doesn't exist, doesn't have a Delusion, because her beliefs match the majority, and thus don't cause her social issues.

Now, mind you, I think it's arguable that Scully has some kind of disadvantage to cause her to always assume that a given thing isn't paranormal, despite quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. That is a limitation on the character, just not the social one that a Delusion suggests. I'd probably peg it at -5. Maybe call it Compulsive Skepticism?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote