View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
jason taylor

Default Re: [MA] Italian fencing description and the riposte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
You're right, based on the description of the techniques, and the way Riposte works, there is an inconsistency here. I have no knowledge of fencing in the real world, so I can't say whether the description is actually accurate, but assuming it is, what I'd suggest doing is adding a new perk to the Italian School style, Special Setup (Ripost from main weapon after parry with off-hand). Basically, it does what it says - allows you to use a Riposte with your main weapon, with the appropriate bonuses, after taking the relevant penalties to your off-hand weapon parry.
The problem is that no one does it in earnest any more except German students who only use tip cuts and aim for the cheek, limiting the nature. Oh once in a while you will have an eccentric pair of people do a real duel with real traditional weapons over a real quarrel to this day. However, though that is weirdly charming it doesn't happen often enough to be educational.

HEMA clubs can tell a lot. They have the disadvantage that no one is trying to kill or seriously injure or risking same and therefore the assumptions change. Many people for instance would make a move in a fight club that they would not when there was a definite prospect of ending up as a kebab.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote