View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Default Re: Psionic Powers: Question about a build

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Can you do Affliction on something you can't see or feel, going purely by geometric coordinates?
A base Affliction is a ranged attack, so no.

Or presumably "no". Curiously, I didn't see anything in the Ranged Attack section on B372 saying you had to be able to see your target. Just that it had to be in range. One of those points that seemed too obvious to think to write down, I suppose. The Aim Maneuver does explicitly state that you have to be able to "see or otherwise detect" your target, but Attack does not. Though the existence of Targeting senses implies that you can't target targets without one.

A Malediction, on the other hand, is explicitly noted not to be a ranged attack, and by its description "works more like a Regular spell". Per B239, those spells allow coordinate-based targeting (ex: "one yard on the other side of this door"), much like we're talking about as a possibility for Exoteleport, as well as by subject ("the closest person in the next room"; "George, who I know is around here somewhere"), without any need for direct perception.

The parallel between Malediction and spells is undermined by that "more like" instead of just "like", though the "more like" could be read as including the coordinate targetingm but not the by-subject form. More like Regular spells, but not completely like them. But that claim is further undermined later on B106 where it says a Malediction "can target any victim you can see or otherwise clearly perceive." It would take a pretty broad interpretation of "perceive" to include all of the Regular spell targeting methods, instead of just an extended set of senses. The word is probably meant to include any sort of Targeting sense.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 05-08-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote