View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 05:55 AM   #485
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
So, thing that I was thinking of including but kept being tired and forgetting to mention it: While any fairly simple power technique used with this sort of equipment is going to have the same penalty whether you use the main skill (Polearm Art in this case) or Mental Strength, any technique which requires finesse is going to have a worse penalty to Mental Strength, because just brute-force shoving your Will at something is going to have limitations. So, while moving the wall or creating an updraft or downdraft is skill-4 for either skill, shaping a whirlwind might be -6 for Polearm Art, but -8 for mental Strength, or something like that.

Does that seem like it should work?
The typical use of Mental Strength is to defend yourself from supernatural mental assaults. If it were just using raw willpower, that would simply be a roll against Will; with it being a skill, I presume there's already a degree of finesse, with a skilled user specifically "shaping" their will to adapt to and more readily block the mental assault. A character relying on Will alone is essentially just wearing their Will as armor to tank such assaults; a character using Mental Strength instead shapes their Will into a shield to deflect them. So, I'd say it should probably be the same penalty. This is both a simpler way to handle it, and it doesn't give the Weapon Art skill/technique even more of an advantage (the more you limit Mental Strength, the less likely anyone will bother with it and will instead just buy up Weapon Art).