View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #35
Cowrie

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#51): Extra Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Extra arms is one of my favorite advantages. I don't often get excuses to take it, but I'm about to start a new campaign with a mutated Minotaur with four arms (and Ambidexterity).
He'll be simultaneously wielding a kusarigama (of a sort), a shield, and either a harpoon or a hand free for grappling/wrangling the kusarigama, so definitely making use of them.
I've gotta ask, is this character inspired by the anthropomorphic form of the Hindu god Nandi? Because bull's head + four-armed humanoid body immediately makes my mind go there.

As far as my experience with extra arms, I've used it on a number of racial templates I've designed. A few examples are:

- A race of humanoid squidfolk that have two Extra Arms plus the base two arms, all with Extra-Flexible, each representing two cephalopod "arms" in the anatomical sense, plus one more Extra Arm with Extra-Flexible, Long 1, and Temporary Disadvantage (Ham-Fisted 2), that represents a pair of clubbed tentacles.

- A flying monkey-type race with a pair of Extra Arms with Foot Manipulators and Temporary Disadvantage (Ham-Fisted 2). The latter of those modifiers is actually pretty common on my builds featuring Extra Arms.

- A species of mothfolk I'm currently designing for a DF campaign that have two flat-out Extra Arms, no modifiers.

Though I can't recall the exact build off the top of my head, I've also used it to design a projectile tongue, which is where the price for Long was really irritating because I would paying for a damage bonus that the build would never use. I think I ended up dropping that mod and buying a couple levels of Stretching with One Limb Only.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote