View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: ROF hits question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Another question. So laser weapons. Lasers move literally at the speed of light, so it seems to me that if you fire full ROF in one second, every hit should land at very nearly the same point, so should one hit with a laser not usually mean they all hit?
The connection you're proposing between 'projectile' speed and hit pattern is totally non-existent. You could fire lasers in a fan that makes a fictionalized sawed-off shotgun envious and launch spitballs with extreme collimation.

It is true that lasers have no reason to scatter their shots much unless doing so is a deliberately added feature. For a handheld laser the shooter themselves is probably the largest source of imprecision. On the other hand, keeping any weapon perfectly on target over the course of a whole second (to get off the full RoF) isn't a trivial exercise.

In any case, GURPS lasers get Rcl 1 and very high Acc values due to their natural high precision. It's nowhere near a perfect model, but it's very powerful. (Due in part to other system issues...)