View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
benz72

Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The reason why there are no rules for what happens before the contact is because nothing happens before the contact. Well nothing that wouldn't happen with a Perfect Illusion because as the spell description states, it's otherwise like a Perfect Illusion. And why would you even consider the possibility that you can have an IQ contest with non-sentient objects? How can an illusion fool something that has no mind?
1) It says it "behaves like a perfect illusion, but can impede movement and inflict real damage." what it does not say is that it "can inflict real damage on beings with IQ scores" What I'm reading doesn't seem to specify one way or the other.

2) The possibility of damage to mindless things comes from my perception of phantom as the middle ground between an illusion and a creation. It requires apportation as a prerequisite (which can definately affect mindless objects). It isn't called "ultimate illusion" nor is it called "minor creation" or some such thing. It seems to be the middle ground and I'm looking for some good RAW interpretations of how to utilize it.

If the RAW answer is "can only affect things with minds" then I'll keep wondering about the crushed breastplate issue. If it's "can only trick things with minds but can move and damage inanimate objects like a creation/apportation" then it seems clearer, though I'm sure we can find some edge cases. If it's more like "can move and damage anything, but things with minds get an IQ roll to resist and treat it like an illusion" then I am out of questions (for the moment at least).

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate you helping me find the boundaries on this.