View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #48
whswhs

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#27): Common Sense, Intuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Hmmm. Then Common Sense is the "this situation calls for a roll, so just roll IQ if it's better than your skill default" thing if the PC has Common Sense.
I don't really see how you get that. The things where Common Sense lets you roll vs. IQ are not things where a normal character would ever roll vs. any skill; they're so simple that you don't need a skill, or a skill with a bonus, or even IQ to avoid failure, and where the action that constitutes "failure" is one that a normal character wouldn't do even on a critical failure. In fact for the GM to say, "Okay, the dice roll failed, so your character does X" would strike many people (including me) as GM abuse in this kind of case. This is a matter not of a bad dice roll but of narrative forcing of an outcome by the player's own choices, in a situation where the player is exceptionally bad at recognizing certain ideas as stupid and self-destructive.

In other words, Common Sense is a pure meta-level trait, like Luck or Serendipity or perhaps Weirdness Magnet. Traits like IQ and skills don't substitute for it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote