View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
tbone

Default Re: Bigger and Smaller Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar Rannúlfr View Post
So, from looking at it from that perspective, maybe this ogre's maul isn't really any larger or more massive than a human-sized maul would be.
I'm not able to look at the materials right now, but based on what you say, I'd assume the same: the ogre is using a human maul. Which is fine. Humans use little stuff like knives and shortswords; ogres are sure to use "little" stuff too, like human mauls.

The benefit, from DFRPG's point of view, is that the PCs can dispatch the ogre, take his maul, and use it as they like, with no need to add more weapon stats or "big weapon" rules to the books.

If you do want to design stuff, Rasputin's summary of published rules sources is perfect. The rules are a scattered bunch; if there's a GURPS 5e someday, I hope it will organize and collect all these options into Basic Set.

If you want to check out a home-made solution, I have a simple "weapon design system" for 4e here (with more blather about it here). It works well, though its roots go back to 3e, when there was very little in the way of published rules on the topic. For your 4e games, you may be perfectly happy using the official rules from DF or Low-Tech.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote