View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
malloyd

Default Re: Purchasing Magery Variation [Thaumotology/RPM]

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Not a game mechanical rationale, but a plausible narrative, based on science or folklore or published fiction or something. It doesn't seem to me that you've even hinted at such a narrative, and lacking that, I'm going to say no.
It's a fairly easy one though. There are lots of stories where you sacrifice physical traits in exchange for power, and powerful wizards are often rather sickly, and not just because they are older than dirt. Stories where exposure to magic damages your health rather like radiation exposure are presumably more modern, but not so rare either.

In terms of purchasing this as a variation, there is a game mechanical advantage to being able to later reassign points like that, but it isn't a very big one. If it just works I'd probably charge an extra 5 points for Magery 0 and call it done. If there's more risk, I might just have you buy the ritual of exchanging points like a normal spell, where if you critically fail you lose the sacrificed trait without gaining the additional magery.

Edit: I suppose in principle you could price the ST or HT you can exchange as part of an Alternate Ability with the additional magery (which would presumably be +20%) then add one use to the notional conversion (dividing by 5, taking it to +4%). If you are the player and are going to sacrifice less than 125 points worth of ST + HT that's cheaper than the 5 points I suggested charging, so you may want to lobby your GM for this build.

Last edited by malloyd; 10-21-2019 at 08:01 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote