View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #13
lordabdul

Default Re: [ATE] Freaky Freakishness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Regarding new mutations, and how much Freakishness to assign, read the New Mutations box on page 27 - there's a minimum Freakishness of 1 per mutation though.
Gah! I had totally missed it. I'm an idiot. Thanks for pointing it out (the boxed text, not that I'm an idiot).

Quote:
The intention isn't that PCs must have dozens of mutations, if only because the starting budget isn't good enough for that. The intention is that mutation is not obvious, except for gross physical mutations (like having a second head). Instead, the primary problem is Side-Effects and Reaction Penalties.
Yes, so that's exactly what I'm saying. It seems that ATE tailored the Freakishness rules in a way where the expectation is to be able to have dozens of mutations (100+ points) before side-effect/reactions become too much of a problem, whereas in my game I wanted to put that limit way lower at a couple mutations only...

I guess it's like how you can run both high-powered and low-powered games in GURPS -- you just change the base character point budget (500 pts vs. 100 pts) and the economics of buying traits mostly takes care of the rest. In this case, however, it seems there's no "tweakability" to the "mutation level" of a game? (or at least not clearly documented)

I could increase the Freakishness "percentage" to, say, 40% of the Advantages' cost, maybe? Or, on the other hand, decrease the effects of Freakishness from multiples of 6 down to multiples of 3? Freakishness as a package sounds like another potential solution, I'll think about it, thanks!

Quote:
you'll quickly have a party full of flammable grumpy berserkers who can't take Aspirin (or whatever)
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that this side-effect table really doesn't do it for me and I would probably replace it with some general Mental Disadvantage that represent how quickly you're becoming a mindless zombie.

Last edited by lordabdul; 02-26-2017 at 01:16 AM.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote