View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
TGLS

Default Re: [Psionics] The Spice Must Flow... from Skylab

I don't know how likely ending up in with Big Gemini is, especially if it ends up a stopgap. By my estimation, a more probable stopgap is going to be Gemini Ferry, possibly with a cut hatch in the bottom. Given that historically Gemini craft were reused, you might see them actually try it again but manned this time.

If killing the shuttle is the goal, you wouldn't have difficulty finding an excuse. Simply blaming delays and difficulties with shielding could be used. Of course, the difficulty would lie in getting the money to restart Gemini or what have you. Almaz had been running at the time, and you have two (perhaps cobbled together) satellites that were failures crashing down. You could have the CIA or the Air Force lie to Congress and say that their new sophisticated spy satellite can't function for some reason and they need bodies in space to operate it (I'm sure this could be kept relatively secret).

If things get real desperate, you could have them use the Skylab Rescue Apollo (perhaps to boost Skylab into a higher orbit if it comes to it).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote