View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Agemegos

Default Re: How impotant is combat to your game.

It varies quite a bit. I have run campaigns with virtually no combat in months of play, and I have run campaigns with a fight or even two every session. Depends on the theme of the game. I don't care much for games that amount in effect to individual-scale tactical wargames, so fighting is very seldom more than one element among others, and not often the most important. Also, I tend to use rules-sets in which weapons are realistically lethal and without PCs of superhuman ability, so PCs that live by the hail of bullets die by the hail of bullets. But I often, perhaps even usually, run adventures that climax in lethal violence, as the villains realise that their jig is up and turn to the last resort of the incompetent.

One of the players in my long-running series of SF mysteries said "We never solve these things. We just muddle along until the villains figure that we must have solved them, and win the ensuing gunfight. Our effectiveness depends on the NPCs consistently over-rating out intelligence and under-rating our lethality."

I guess I'd have to say that the importance of violence in my adventures has a central range from Casablanca to a typical James Bond film, with outliers on either side.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote