View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 04:18 AM   #43
hal

Default Re: Collapsibles and Drop Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The reason for TL 15 is the reuse roll - which is in MGT (somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up at 0200.

It's also been discussed for 5.10 (which I have a partial draft for, but can't quote the same way, because it's a working draft, not a final.).

For drop tanks to be reusable changes the nature of trade.
Playtest material being what it is, we'll have to wait until it gets published. The Errata in T4 concerning Drop tanks - would largely be missed by anyone who doesn't have it (despite Don McKinney's work).

When I went looking for the scatter rules for jumps that involve using a Flux roll, I was shocked at the potential for ships to be months away from their intended target (assuming I understood the rules from T5 correctly) and the Mongoose Traveller rules involving accuracy of jump could result in millions of kilometers being off target for a jump (per the introductory short story). In other words, there isn't much uniformity at this point in time where rules are concerned between the versions of Traveller. I suspect that the Drop tank rules are going to be of a similar vein - different between versions. T5.10 will hopefully fix some of those issues, but when I looked at the scatter rules for the jump within system from a somewhat accurate astrogation roll, I thought that appearing outside of Pluto's orbit would be so unappealing that few GM's would use it. Hopefully, T5.10 will avoid that issue.

(note: when aiming directly for a mass such as a planet or star - the scatter rules don't come into effect. When aiming for an orbit on the other hand, the result is equal to a flux roll plus the orbit aimed for. So aiming for orbit 12, could result in reaching orbit 5 or as far away as orbit 17. Nasty!)

Since I no longer frequent Citizens of the Imperium due to issues there (Left a message with the moderator there and explained why I was leaving) and have since run into others with issues with the Moderator - I don't have the ability to discuss T5 material with those who seem to love it best. <shrug>

On that note, thanks for the reference specifics and the MgT reference. I'll see if I can find the Mongoose Reference in either of the 1st edition core rule book or the 2nd edition High Guard book - those are the only real reference books I have for MgT. :(
hal is offline   Reply With Quote