View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Captain-Captain

Default Re: A subtle question of Magic and Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
Suppose you have this healthy chap with an adjusted HT roll of 16.

Suppose he is severely injured and rolls a 17 on a Death Check. He has failed but not failed by more than 1 or 2 so it's a Mortal Wound rather than instant death. With the 17 we are also avoiding questions of Critical Failure and religious questions (Hierokybocracy "rule of sacred cubes") involving whether you always die when you roll an 18.

So he's in the Mortally Wounded condition and may even be conscious. That's left to the GM's decision (see B. 423).

Now let us suppose that he has the Enchanted Item for the Stop Bleeding Spell. The Item part is important. The Spell itself would only stabilize his Mortal Wound. The Item _prevents_ Mortal Wounds.

So, he's at least -1x HP and he's failed a HT check but he's not Mortally Wounded (and has not met any other conditions for automatic death). What is he?

In an actual game situation (and this could come up in a game I'm running) I would simply say 'Unconscious" and move on but I am academically curious as to what the "correct" answer should be as Gurps sees this thing.
If the item actually stops mortal wounds, it's magic negates the failed roll. Treat it as if he had succeded at the HT roll.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote