View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Default Re: can you drop a benefit of an Ally to drop a drawback of a Dependent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Buying an ally/favor usually requires RPing your reaction up to good (15+) to earn the privilege of buying it (unless you buy them as unwilling) so for the purposes of this comparison I want us to assume that in both circumstances he has ascertained having improved their loyalty up to that level.
Buying an Ally usually requires spending the character points when you initially create the character. Acquiring Allies in play is very unusual. If it happened, if the guy playing "Thatman" said "You know, Thatman could use a kid sidekick" and spent the points, then suddenly he'd meet an aspiring vigilante juvenile looking for a father figure. What would even be the point of spending points on making an already rabidly devoted NPC into an Ally?

Quote:
This brings an interesting thing to mind though: how would a PC go about actually assessing (estimating) the loyalty stat of an NPC when negotiating the purchase of them as an ally with the GM

To avoid metagaming a GM wouldn't be obligated to tell "under the hood" stats like the Loyalty number to a player...

So is it possible you could only say "I want to buy this NPC as an ally" but the GM would actually make it secret whether they're priced as "Unwilling" or not, and the player would just guess based on their behavior how loyal they truly were?
No. An Unwilling Ally is somehow coerced into service. How could the character not know that he was using some kind of blackmail or other means of coercion?

Quote:
You'd face similar problems with something like Affliction (Advantage: Allies) as sorcery though: at what point short of permanent +300% should it become appropriate to start charging character points for allies gained by that spell, and what sort of discounts should you get for allies with a fixed duration who can be negated by Healing: Affliction?
You can't afflict a social advantage.

Quote:
That's "loved one" (x2) which is probably much more rare than "friend" (x1) or "acquaintance" (x1/2) zombies.
I don't see why. Being in love with who zombie used to be seems like the only reasonable way to treat it as a Dependant.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote