View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #5232
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Try this one...

In Homeline history, one of the first things that the intellectual reformers of the renaissance wanted to get on a firm footing was magic. In fact, magic and science weren't clearly separated categories until almost the 19th century. On this Q4 Normal manna world, they're successful in their goals. Magic is becoming a more regularly teachable skill. The achievement is limited so far.

(I'll need to look at my books and decide what path's are available)

The local year is 1565, Queen Elizabeth of England is still in the process of holding her throne (her parliament and ministers keep harping on her to wed and have heirs, she can't find anyone to marry that won't start a war with the rejected suiters). John Dee who is thirty-eight and looks twenty-eight, has offered Elizabeth a longevity potion, to delay her need for making a choice until the politics are less brutal. Phillip of Spain is determined to have the Queen, her Wizard, and the potion, for himself.

Magic, because it is workable and useful, is semi-respectable. This makes witch-burning more rather than less common. People have serious reasons to believe in witches, although people like Reginald Scot, whose books are as yet unwritten, will still seek to expose fraud and cast doubt on Diabolic Pacts.

Both Phillip and Elizabeth have some magical training and Phillip is even more keenly aware of Elizabeth's worth in this world than in Homeline History. He wants to breed a line of mentally stable and highly intelligent Spanish royals with her.

Basically, a low, but growing, magic fantasy Swashbuckler. Homeline wants to study this world to improve its understanding of Magic. The Cabal, which normally avoids worlds like this, wants to prevent this. Meanwhile, the Cabal's Grandmaster version of John Dee is very interested in this parallel.

(I'll need to edit this a bit)

Magic in this Parallel is Path/Book. The biggest variation is that mystic energy can be stored in jewels. Thus power stones are available for magicians here.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote