View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 05:49 AM   #24
Daigoro

Default Re: Background : When did 'Last Cowboy' die ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I think the Brownie was around by the period. A collection of poorly shot and indifferently preserved photos with a few letters from the last cowboy might be a great set up.
Brownies were introduced in 1900, which is why I suggested etchings or some kind of professional camp photographer nearby instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It s not actually necessary for one person to complete both ends of the exercise.

If your cowboy is using Eidetic Memory to emulate Absolute Direction his description of how he got to a specific place his recollection (which can be recorded at a time that does not have to extend into the satellite age) will consist of a highly specific if soemwhat arbbitray list of landmarks
I'd still question the cowboy happening to have eidetic memory as too unlikely and too convenient for the story.

Quote:
That"s how I do it anywya. at any given time I can easily have no clue what direction North is but I remember how I got to wherever I am now.

This list of non-distinct but specific landmarks might nto help a lot of people after him but soemone in 2020 with a _lot_ of photographs and soem mapping software might be able to reconstruct the route just from the verbal directions.

Satellite photos might not be the most helpful things though. Ground level photos might work better.
But indeed, there are certainly many ways for him to pass on enough clues to find the place, I just question him being able to point it out on an aerial map.

Maybe as they left the mine after the storm passed, they notice the morning sun shining directly down their gorge, or the sun rising from behind a distinctive peak. Otherwise, they remark on how they are directly south of one peak and directly west of another peak, allowing the PCs to triangulate a number of likely locations.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote