View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #112
coronatiger

Default Session 34 (2020-11-01)

The only unexplored rooms were those above the murder holes, and the entrances from the balcony were too small for Grogg, so he guarded Wolfram. We found another emergency exit, this one leading to the sewers. We found no more enemies, and no corpses, but there was a trail of blood leading from above the murder holes and into the sewer.

Xipil barricaded the two emergency exits, and I returned to Wolfram with improvised bandages cut from our enemies’ clothes. While I was working, we had Grogg smash through the rear stone wall of the room, so he and Wolfram could access the sewer exit. He borrowed Wolfram’s flail to do it. Wolfram asked if we got the person who had given me the mission to kill Niffi, and I said no. Since he insisted, I spoke a prayer, asking You for directions to Robal, but I got no answer. I hadn’t expected one.

The blood trail in the sewer went in the opposite direction of where we wanted to go, but Wolfram and Grogg demanded that we check it out. I suspected the enemies of being long gone, but I told Grogg to run and check anyway. The rest of us made our way slowly towards Yana and safety. Grogg caught up with us after a minute or two, having lost the trail.

I would have been pleased if we had managed to kill former higher-ranking Ashtarites, but as we slogged through the filth, You gave me a sensation indicating that my mission was complete. I knew we had taken out the entire kill squad, including Podo, who I wished hadn’t been there. I had hoped I could turn him towards the righteous path, but I felt no sadness at his death.

We emerged from the sewers covered in filth and blood, but with Yana’s aid, we didn’t catch too much attention. Inside the wagon, Grogg complained about hurting on his neck where Podo had stabbed him, but it couldn’t have been too bad, for he didn’t let me treat his wounds. Yana asked if we needed to race through the streets, but I told her to blend in with the other traffic. Nobody was chasing us.

We left the wagon outside an inn not far from our safehouse and said goodbye to the two “mercenaries”. I told them to lie low, and if they decided to alert the city guards about the abandoned wagon – a topic we’d discussed on the way – they should send someone else to talk to the guards.

The rest of us walked up to the hideout. I gave the code on the door, and the woman I’d met before opened. She wrinkled her nose at the smell, took us through a hatch in the kitchen floor to a large earth cellar, and promised to bring water for washing. She would also take care of our dirty clothes.

Yana and I erected my tent, and after a quick wash and change, I turned to Wolfram, cleansing all his wounds thoroughly. Xipil asked if he could help, but as he didn’t have the skills, I thought I would manage just as well on my own. Had we been in a rush, he could have assisted with handing me the supplies and equipment, but as it was, he wasn’t needed. On the other hand, it might be good to prepare for the future, so I gave him a lesson, explaining what I did and why.

Nujan thought we could have gotten out of the city, had we tried, but it might be too late now, if some of the escapees decided to alert the guards. When our host came to fetch our laundry, we asked if she was in a position to listen to the city’s pulse. She explained that this wasn’t her thing, but if we dared, she could have someone visit us and talk. I preferred to remain here in secret. We wouldn’t be staying very long anyway, I hoped.

Xipil and I sat down to pray, and again, I got the sensation that I had put down killers that didn’t answer to You. I smiled while I fed Little Brother in my pouch. I moved to the corner and sat down, facing away from the others to get a semblance of privacy. There I spent several hours meditating, licking clean my blades and replenishing my venom supply.

The room was quiet when I turned around, and Yana had gone to sleep inside my tent. I crawled inside and joined her under the blanket, slithering in between her back and the canvas wall. I slid one arm under Yana’s head, and reached over her with the other, placing my palms against the ground in devotion. I began my silent evening prayer: “O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils…”

Yana interrupted by seizing the arm I held in front of her and pulling it close to her chest. It felt nice to embrace Yana, and to be held by her. It was just as comfortable as lying among snakes, but at the same time, it felt strangely intoxicating. Something hardened under my palm and pushed against it. I tore the arm free, suddenly reminded of my duty, my daily ritual. Yana pulled at my arm again, but I resisted steadfastly, and whispered forcefully a modified evening prayer before letting her confiscate my arm again.

O Ashtar! We surrender our lives to Your coils. Take us while we sleep, or grant us another day in Your service, as You will.

My fingers sought out Yana’s rock-like protrusion by their own volition, and my heart thundered against her back while my fingertips explored their discovery. Yana murmured unintelligibly, the only discernible word being “sleep”, and pushed on my hand, flattening it against her breast. I tried to relax, tried to take deep breaths, and prayed that You would grant me sleep. You did.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote