Thread: Ideas for Yrth
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #30
VIVIT

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
-> Pontin ... Descended from Pontic Greek.
-> Jutt ... Descended from Norse.
-> Anglik ... Descended from Old English.
-> Axon ... Descended from Old Saxon.
-> Caltan, ... Descended from Catalan.
-> Provensal ... Descended from Occitan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Then I put on my characterbuilding hat and groan. I can only take one of these as my Native language but I potentially need all the others (plus Arabic with possibilities for realistic dialects there as well as Elvish). So that's 5 languages at 2 pts apiece (assuming they'll have little written presence) for Accented Spoken level. Then you add 2 more for Written Latin at the same level and 8 more for spoken and written Arabic and Elvish (again at Accented).
Many of those languages would be related to one another, so this could be significantly alleviated with the language default rules (B506), which realistically should apply to at least some of those Ingvaeonic languages there. If language bloat is what you're concerned about, you can err on the side of further generosity.

Assume that Anglish, Anglik, Axon, and Jutt all mutually default at Broken level, except for Anglik and Axon which do so with each other at Accented level instead, as do Caltan with Provensal. With these defaults, you could, in only 5 points, learn Anglish plus everything on that list minus Pontin, and you would break even on Language Talent.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote