View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Monetizing Giant-Spider Silk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
I'd probably make it a naturalist roll, modified for how clever a harvesting scheme they have. I'd assume the weaving costs are significantly higher than ordinary silk, since the stickiness and tensile strength is considerably greater.
It's probably boiled to render it separate and unsticky, just like regular silk. Or maybe the Shadow Elf Weavers have secret forbidden techniques*...

* Which means "they boil it and then lie to make it sound mysterious". Their advantage is in being able to communicate with or control the Giant Spiders in the first place making harvesting far, far easier.

Quote:
Still, I don't have a problem with it paying out big money, depending on how well they harvest it. I believe in raining down huge sums of money. As a player, I'd be much more inclined to use it to reduce the cost of making a suit of giant spider silk armor.
In this case it's how much time is going to be set aside to monetize this random cash crop versus continuing the adventure.

Something that occurred to me only after writing the earlier post is how long does it take to harvest:

I'd recommend 30 minutes to harvest a hex, suffering it's 'trap-ness' effects (regardless of whether you're going with 7 feet deep of candy-floss webbing or 1-2 feet deep thick heavy matting, the former we'd spin onto sticks, the latter cut up like sod). Each failure to the 'trap' might reduce the value some or adjust how long it takes to harvest.

Just some more thoughts on it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote