View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #57
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] Heat Signature, Cloaking Device, and Stealth Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I find it hilarious that all the posters here want to chime in about how "stealth in space is clearly stupid," while allowing without comment all the other TL^ technological assumptions that get you swooshing spaceships in space in the first place. It's not hard at all to posit reasons why, by the time you have reactionless thrusters, artificial gravity, and and fusion powered spacecraft, you might have very stealthy spacecraft, too.
I find it hilarious that you're trying to make it other people's fault that they took your strenuous assertions about how it's silly to say stealth in space is impossible to be assertions about reality, not superscience.

GURPS Spaceships will cheerfully allow stealth in space with superscience. As, I expect, will anyone posting in this thread. Although, perversely, for best effects you want your ship to have a fuel cell aboard because that (or a solar panel) is the only way to generate power points (allowing you to run the cloak) without invalidating a stealth hull. A cloaked ship can be fairly stealthy, but a cloaked ship with a TL10 or so stealth hull in effect is very stealthy.

(Also perhaps both perversely and reasonably, Cosmic power can make stealth much easier by allowing the cloaking device to run on auxiliary power.)