View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #37
zot

Default Re: Can NPCs break the rules? (moved from KS discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Different GMs can vary enormously in how self-consistent they are, and how well and in what ways they communicate what the game situation is like to their players.

Players also can vary widely between proactive and curious players who take the game seriously and investigate and act with care and caution, versus players who make little or no such attempts, and just show up and wait for "the adventure" to appear for them.

I really enjoy creating, running, and playing in well-thought-out consistent game worlds that allow freedom of investigation and action, and players who engage them.

Whether I'm interested in playing a game or not tends to hinge on whether there seems to actually be a consistent and discoverable interactive game situation where the players are free to choose to act in various ways, and the results will be based on that, and played out dynamically and fairly (including some chances for the PCs to fail and die etc, their fate therefore being in their hands, luck permitting).
Speaking of GM's whim, consistency, and preparation, I updated my "Gathering Knowledge" document for the published LE.

These rules have worked very well for mysteries, police procedurals, search-and-rescue operations, and Ocean's 11-style capers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
zot is offline   Reply With Quote